Is CBG the New CBD? The Difference Explained!
Cannabigerol (CBG) is a cannabinoid that’s attracting a lot of attention. Like cannabidiol (CBD), it’s a cannabinoid that’s found in cannabis and hemp plants to form Premium Hemp Oils. While CBG needs further study, it appears to have strong, powerful health benefits. With that in mind, we wouldn’t be surprised if you were one of the countless people online asking the same question: is CBG the new CBD?
What Are the Differences Between CBG and CBD?
CBG is a chemical compound found in a young hemp or cannabis plant. As the plant matures, the CBG synthesizes into other cannabinoids such as CBD and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). For this reason, it is sometimes referred to as the ‘stem cell‘ or ‘mother cannabinoid’ for premium hemp oils.
There is more research on CBD than CBG, so it’s natural that people know more about CBD than they do about CBG. Moreover, CBD is easier to find than CBG! There are many CBD products and delivery methods, while there are fewer CBG products in the market.
Like CBD, CBG is a non-intoxicating cannabinoid, which means it won’t get you high. You can read more about the benefits of CBG oil in premium hemp oils that may compliment CBD. As a result, some breeders are growing plants with higher levels of CBG.
What Are the Health Benefits of CBG?
Research has found that CBG, along with other cannabinoids, helps treat Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), also known as a drug-resistant staph infection. So, for people with poor appetite or nausea caused by cancer treatment or other reasons, CBG can be a powerful appetite stimulator according to a study on rats in 2016. Some promising research has shown that CBG could treat intraocular pressure that has been linked to glaucoma, too!
Is CBG the New CBD?
While some might say that CBG is ‘the new CBD’, they are different compounds with different properties. CBG is unlikely to replace CBD, although there may be an initial buzz about it as more information, research, and awareness spreads.
As research continues, we’ll be able to learn more about how both compounds can help us.
CBG can be a helpful natural remedy or supplement for many ailments and health problems. However, we always recommend that you speak to a doctor before using any new health product of any kind. Only trust vendors that have independent lab reports detailing the contents of their products before buying so you can be sure of what you’re really getting.
What Are the Possible Advantages?
While research on CBG is extremely limited, existing studies show a number of advantages. The following health issues may benefit from the use of CBG:
- Inflammatory bowel disease: It is a condition in which the intestines become inflamed. According to a 2013 study on mice, CBG appears to lessen the inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Glaucoma: Medical cannabis appears to be effective in the treatment of glaucoma, and CBG may play a role in this. CBG may be useful in treating glaucoma because it lowers intraocular pressure, according to a study published in 2008.
- Dysfunctions of the bladder: Some cannabinoids appear to alter bladder contractions. CBG shows promising results in treating bladder dysfunctions, according to a 2015 research that looked at how five different cannabinoids influence the bladder.
- Huntington’s disease: It is a neurological disorder. According to a 2015 study involving animals with Huntington’s illness, CBG may have neuroprotective qualities. The researchers concluded that CBG could be useful in the treatment of other neurodegenerative diseases.
- Infections caused by bacteria: According to a 2008 study, CBG can destroy germs, including Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA), the organism that triggers drug-resistant staph infections. These infections are difficult to treat and can be quite harmful.
- Cancer: CBG may slow the growth of cancer cells and other tumors, according to a 2014 study that looked at colon cancer in rats.
- Loss of appetite: CBG was found to enhance hunger in rats in a 2016 study. Chemicals that stimulate appetite can be utilized to benefit those who have HIV or cancer.
CBD and CBG share some properties as they both have powerful anti-inflammatory properties; however, there are some differences in how they affect our bodies.
While more research needs to be done to arrive at a conclusive understanding of the health properties of CBG, these are some promising benefits shown in studies conducted so far.
CBG products appear as a possible option for treating multiple issues, so if you’ve used CBG yourself, let us know in the comments below! And, of course, if you have any questions, reach out to us here –we’re always happy to help.